Skip to main content

Receiving CHRIST

 

...Christ is all about Christianity, nothing more and nothing less... 

When I was younger, there was this popular question I always heard people ask in church and in almost every Christian organization. One day, someone asked me this same question,

have you given your life to Christ?

Well.....

I wish I knew the things I'm about to share with you on that day I was faced with the question. But glory to God that I know them now and I wish to share them with you. 

Generally, among Christians (or at least in Nigeria), there is the concept of receiving Christ as the event of giving your life to Christ. The concept alone is one that bothers my heart because, in the reality of life in Christ, I wouldn’t tell someone that the summary of my Christian life would be a life given to God. I would rather say I have experienced a life that received Christ. The two concepts really go a long way to affecting our theology and belief.

In giving, the giver loses while the receiver gains. I once came across an article on the web that describes how the Christian life is mundane and demanding, where God asks for everything you could ever want and then you are left with what you can manage. The writer expressed so much disgust for God, whom he describes as inconsiderate and tyrannical. Well, this may be the case for people that really gave their lives to God. But my little question would be, what exactly did God need your life for? How exactly do you think your sacrifices helped Him out?

The Bible (My Bible) never teaches God as a dependent receiver or one who count on men to provide Him His needs. The Psalmist wrote that

And the heavens shall declare his righteousness; for God executeth judgment himself. Selah. 7 Hear, my people, and I will speak; O Israel, and I will testify unto thee: I am God, thy God. 8 I will not reprove thee for thy sacrifices, or thy burnt offerings, continually before me; 9 I will take no bullock out of thy house, [nor] he-goats out of thy folds: 10 For every beast of the forest is mine, the cattle upon a thousand hills; 11 I know all the fowl of the mountains, and the roaming creatures of the field are mine: 12 If I were hungry, I would not tell thee; for the world is mine, and the fulness thereof. 13 Should I eat the flesh of bulls, and drink the blood of goats? 14 Offer unto God thanksgiving, and perform thy vows unto the Most High; 15 And call upon me in the day of trouble; I will deliver thee, and thou shalt glorify me.

 (Psalms 50:6-15)

Giving your life to Christ sounds legalistic like something the ancient Pharisees and Jews did. They gave themselves. Do you see the point, they were the ones doing the work, they were losing things they didn’t want to lose so they could satisfy the law. So, they feel it’s a lot of work and hence can brag about how far they seem to have made progress. Well, I’m Christian, and I have a different testimony. I received Christ, whom God gave to men.

The Apostle Paul wrote in Colossians 2: 6

6 As therefore ye have received the Christ, Jesus the Lord, walk in him,

(Colossians 2:6)

The word received as used by Paul connotes accepting, taking, and embracing something. It shows that the receiver is doing no work but is at the gaining end of an already finished work. Receiving Christ is accepting and embracing the realities and endowment of the personality of the Godhead. it’s the greatest thing about my life, the greatest experience ever.

Probably you already know the difference in the statements, however, has it been the pivot point to your understanding of Christianity? Or have you had the right idea, but lived in the wrong experience? There is an experience of Christ: an experience of them that received Christ.

Gleaning more from Paul's words in Col. 2:6, “as therefore ye have received the Christ”. Further meditation on this would suggest that there is a mannerism to receiving Christ. There was a particular reference Paul was pointing to in saying “as you have”.

So, the question is how did you receive Christ?

 Is it backed up by the experience of Christ?

Well, today is a gift. The first step is always to acknowledge God and His love given in Christ and to us. Then decide if you are willing to receive Christ. If you’ve decided, sincerely pray to God and tell Him you want to receive Christ.

 

In further posts, I will be sharing some gleanings from my textual study of Col. 2: 6, on what characterizes Receiving Christ.

Comments

  1. We receiving Christ is having a new life. The greatest gift you can ever receive is Salvation. Through Him, we have a life. Accepting Him is accepting His personality. ''Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus'' Philippians 2:5.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. Salvation is all about receiving Christ. Thanks

      Delete

Post a Comment